I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather recently, so no full movie reviews this week. But I thought I’d preview 8 movies scheduled to be released this summer in the U.S. I’m excited about these!
1. First up is “The Tree of Life” directed by Terrence Malick who also directed the great film “The Thin Red Line.” Honestly, I have no idea what this mysterious movie set partly in the 1950’s is about, but it has great actors (Brad Pitt, Sean Penn,) and the trailer shows off some incredible cinematography. Yes, I know the film’s limited release is planned for May 27, but that’s summer enough for me.
2. “Super 8.” Steven Spielberg produced it. J. J. Abrams directed it. It’s sci-fi set in 1979. Enough said. June 10.
3. “Winnie the Pooh” is a new adventure featuring classic Disney animation. It looks rich and adorable. July 15.
4. “Another Earth.” A duplicate earth is discovered in our solar system. Just look at that image below. Looks soooooooo cool. July 20.
5. “Captain America.” There are a lot of comic hero movies on tap this summer, but “Captain America” is the one I’m looking forward to the most. I love that retro style art-direction. July 22.
6. “Cowboys and Aliens.” Well, there are aliens, and there are cowboys. What more do you need? Throw in Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Sam Rockwell plus Jon Favreau’s direction, and, well, you get the idea. July 29.
7. “Rise of the Planet of the Apes.” The movie may end up being trash, but the makeup on the ape-man (see below) has me enthralled. August 5.
8. “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark.” Troy Nixey previously directed a wonderful short film called “Latchkey’s Lament.” He has teamed up with acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (“Pan’s Labyrinth,” “Hellboy”) to create this spook-a-thon based on a 1970’s TV movie. I’ve seen the trailer a dozen times, and it still scares the crap out of me. Stars Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce. August 13.
(Note: Release dates are subject to change.)